Wednesday 14 January 2009

CGS52 Simple Wave Folder



Here's a few clips of my first DIY module, Ken Stone's Lockhart/ Simple Wave Folder:



Basic run-through, unaffected signal first.



Various complex/ FM'd and filtered waveforms put through the mill. First minute and a half Doepfer A-105 filter, then Plan B Model 12. Ken Stone says the module must be fed a sine or triangle to work. I have to disagree ;)


I know I swore I'd never go near a soldering iron again after building the Trobetronic40 but, encouraged by Paul at Schneidersbuero and 'Roter Agent' at the sequencer.de forum, I gave it another go. Cheers lads! Added an extra attenuator and cap and an LED cos we all love blinkies, right?

6 comments:

Faxed said...

Nice work-- sounds good, looks good! I've been curious about the Cat Girl stuff myself-- would you say the Wavefolder is a good place to start?

Navs said...

Ta! This was only my second encounter with a soldering iron so, yes, it's a good place to start! The circuit is simple and the schematic clear. Breadboarding was simple. The biggest headache was laying it out on veroboard, cos I didn't buy Ken's PCB. Remember to replace the 15K resistors with 12K if building for a Euro/ +/-12V PSU.

Anonymous said...

did you extend the wavefolder by cv inputs ?

Navs said...

No. The inputs and outputs are as defined in the schematic: DC + AC coupled ins, folded + comparator outs. You can get a lot of dynamic variation out of even this simple wavefolder, 'though: put your audio signal through a filter or VCA and/ or mix it with some DC offset (static, LFO, envelope etc.). Of course, if you use an offset, you will need to use the DC-coupled input. The one 'mistake' I made was to chose a high value capacitor for the AC in, as I find it cuts too much bass, so experiment!

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to play any of your samples. I have just updated Flash and have tried with both F.Fox and Safari...

Navs said...

It's not you, it's Sugarsync. Here's a workaround until I get round to finding another solution:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2012/01/audio-files-not-playing.html